Tuesday 29 August 2017

Review: Fables, The Deluxe Edition 1 by Bill Willingham

So, this is just a quick review today!

My friend decided to loan me his copy of Fables, a comic book about Fairy Tales who live in Fabletown, a neighbourhood in New York after being forced to leave their storybook lands because of a character called the Adversary.

I've never really read comic books before, so I wasn't sure how I would do with one, but wow did I love it!

Especially because you should all know by now I love fairy tale re-tellings so much.

So, for those of you that haven't heard of this particular comic book, here it is:


Once Upon a Time...

Imagine that all the characters from the world's most beloved storybooks were real - real, and living among us, with all of their powers intact. How would they cope with life in our mundane, un-magical reality?

The answer can be found in FABLES, Bill Willingham's celebrated reimagining of the venerable fairy tale canon. From Snow White and the Big Bad Wolf and Goldilocks, and Little Boy Blue, the folk tales of old are reborn here as exiles living in the magically camouflaged New York City neighbourhood of Fabletown.

So, as I said, a fairytale retelling. Not one that I've seen before though, it's definitely unique from the other plots I've read about fairytales in the modern day world. But, you can tell how much I loved it by the fact that I've already borrowed the third book in this series of comic books from my friend, and plan to borrow all the others!

I do warn you though, it's definitely not all PG, and some of it can be a a bit dark. However, in my opinion it all blends well together, and it did have me laughing a lot at some of the characters!

Overall, a very good first venture into the comic book world for me, and I'll definitely be reading others in this series, and other comic book series too (my friend has just lent me another comic book series that will definitely be read & reviewed soon).

I'm giving this comic book: 5 cats!


Have any of you read this comic book before? Or do you have any other comic books you would recommend to me? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment