Sunday 29 April 2018

April Wrap-Up!

So, because April was such a busy reading month for me, I thought I would jump onto the wrap-up bandwagon and show you some of the books I've read, and give them each a mini review.

These aren't all my books I've read in April of course, I've written a few full reviews too, but these are just some of the other books that I thought you'd like to see my thoughts on! (and you can click the link in the name to find the Goodreads page if you're interested in the blurbs)

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury:


21936988This was a re-read of mine, that I finished at the beginning of April. I've read the first 2 books in this series before but I decided to re-read this because I went to the launch of Mel's new book Sorrow last month. This was my train read, and I forgot just how great the book was.

Reading this a second time just made me love it more, although I admit because I knew what happened it did make me dislike Leif this time round, and I had a lot more sympathy for Merek than I did the first time round.

I love the world building in this series and I loved the idea of different sins and what would be eaten - I'd love a longer list! Overall though this book gets 4.5 cats!

                  

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas:

23766634So, the third in this series I decided to read it after having it a little while because of there is another book being released soon, and I wanted to be ready for it.

As with the other two books I adored it, as I think that Rhysand is one of my favourite characters out there, and I love the way he interacts with his court and Feyre. I was especially interested to see how Nesta and Elain's plots played out in this book after how it ended, and I really wanted to see if the Hybern situation would be resolved or not.


Definitely an action packed book, and I definitely loved it like the rest, but my favourite in the series is still the second book. However, I did like meeting all the new people in this one, and I can't wait to see where it goes. This book gets 5 cats!

I am Thunder by Muhammad Khan

35658909I won this book in a competition, and I decided to read it because I was meeting the author at YAShot this month. Definitely glad I won it, it was such a good book! (But it did leave me feeling old because when reading it did take a while to get used to the teenager speak!).

It did take me a while to get into it, but when I did I was definitely sucked in, it was so different to see the POV of someone that was a Muslim, I've only ever read one book like that - and this one trumped that by miles.

I think my favourite bit about the book was the name - and the quote used - I am thunder and I won't keep quiet. It definitely resonated with me and I think it's one of my new favourite quotes - and something I need to live by I think. Overall, I give this 4 cats. It's definitely a thought provoking book.


Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

30117284I decided to re-read this book because I got sent the second in the duology for a review, and I wanted to refresh my mind. My original read of this book was reviewed on goodreads before I started blogging, and I laughed a bit when I read my review. 

My opinion has changed from the first time - I loved it more than I did then. I think the re-read helped me to understand things a bit better and really helped me to get into the plot more and connect with the characters more too. It's definitely going to be one of the books I'll re-read again in the future, and my review of the second book will come soon in a separate post.

Also I've had a lot of people comment on the beauty of the cover, and yes that was the main reason I bought it from Costco's, the deep blue with slashes really caught my eye, and then the description intrigued me too. I give this book 5 cats (one more than last years review)

A Shiver of Snow and Sky by Lisa Lueddecke

32602009Although I have so many other books on my TBR pile I started on this as soon as I got it in the DrinkYA goodybag as I've wated to read it so much. It did take me a little while to get into it, maybe I was going in with too many expectations and it put me off? But when I did get into it I can see why it's such a popular book, some of the descriptions in this book definitely caught my eye throughout - they were so beautiful.

I adored Osa as a character - she was so strong throughout the book despite how she was brought up being blamed for her mothers death. I think her character development was amazing, especially at the end, and I think it was so great how her development was like a big circle - she learnt that it wasn't her fault and also really came into herself.

I also think the world building in this was great - I can't wait to see what the author will do in any future books if its as great as this one, it will definitely be a surprise as I can't guess where it may go at all. 4 cats for this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment