Monday 9 April 2018

Review: Dissent Renegades by R. J. Furness

I was given an e-copy of this book by the author in exchange for a review, which will follow.

It took me a while to get round to it (sorry!) but I'm glad I finally did read it, it was definitely an interesting plot!

Here it is:

36569218

The Great Freeze changed everything… 

“Ellie loved riding the orgo. She had often dreamt about it since being a small child. Now that her father wasn’t around to voice his opinions, she finally could. Twenty years had been a long time to wait.” 

Centuries from now, during a new ice age, only three human colonies are known to exist. Scorr Tanta, the first city, is vast and resourceful, whereas Eklips is more desolate. Ellie, on the other hand, works in Port Harmony; a harbour town. As an apprentice orgo-keeper, the only highlight is getting to ride the animals that she cares for. Then, a chance skirmish at the market draws her closer to Haylee and her friends, and everything begins to change. Desperate to join them, Ellie has heard many tales about Haylee and her group of renowned warriors. What she doesn’t know, is how much danger follows them. Ellie is soon tugged into a much different world than she had first assumed. A world built on dissent, and filled with secrets.


Okay, so I didn't really know what to expect when I started this book. The blurb gave hints but didn't actually say what would happen which intrigued me. I usually like to know in general what will happen, but after this book I've decided I also like the intrigue of finding out just where it will go. There were definitely some twists I didn't see coming, and I liked that a lot.

My favourite part of the book: has to be the orgo's (the creature on the cover). I love fluffy things and from the sound of it I could just cuddle into one and be happy forever. I want one now (but unfortunately they are not real so no cuddles from an orgo for me).

One of my favourite parts of this book is the plight of the elrupe, a species similar to humans but pushed out of the colonies and left to survive by themselves. I think they sound so cute, and I really hope to get a bit more history in the next book about them. In fact, I would love to see a lot more history about everything in the next book - I was really interested in the hints of Rada's history (the leader of the colonies) and can't wait to see what the author comes up with in the next book about it.

Overall, definitely an interesting books, but I would have loved a whole lot more history, so I'm giving this book 4 cats!


Have you read this book? What did you think? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment