Tuesday 9 July 2019

Review: The Red Abbey Chronicles by Maria Turtschaninoff

So today I'll be reviewing a whole series of books instead of just one - as I got gifted the whole series by Pushkin Press and thought they were so good, I couldn't just review one! Originally, I was approached about reading the latest in the series - Maresi Red Mantle, but when I was offered the chance to read the whole series I jumped, and I breezed through all 3 so quickly!


As it is 3 different books, I'll post the goodreads links to all 3, but here is the blurb of the most recent book, Maresi Red Mantle:

42974186. sy475

Maresi returns in the thrilling conclusion to the feminist fantasy epic The Red Abbey Chronicles

For Maresi, like so many other girls, the Red Abbey was a haven of safety in a world ruled by brutal men. But now she is a young woman and it is time for her to leave. She must take all that she has learned from her sisters and return to her childhood home to share the knowledge she has gained.

But when Maresi returns to her village, she realises all is not well - the people are struggling under the rule of the oppressive Earl, and people are too busy trying to survive to see the value of her teachings. Maresi finds she must use all the terrible force of the Crone's magic to protect her people, but can she find the strength to do so when her heart is weakening with love for the first time?


Goodreads links:
Maresi Red Mantle (Book 3)

When I first started on this series I was worried I wouldn't be able to get into it as there was so much to take in - the different Sisters, the different places in the Abbey, what the Sisters do etc. but all of that worry was for nothing. You soon get the hang of it and really get pulled into Maresi's life. I think the only thing I would have loved was more background to the Abbey and the history to everything - but you get a lot more background over the next two books to help you understand more.

The second book Naondel is actually all about how the Abbey started and the different Sisters and how they came together to eventually leave their lands and make the journey on the boat Naondel to get to where they would eventually create the safe haven of the Red Abbey. I think this was definitely a crucial book in the series, as you learnt just why the island helped the Abbey women and where the power of the land in the first book may have come from, as well as showing just why the Abbey was created to help women in need. Its such a powerful book, showing you a lot more of the world that the Red Abbey Chronicles is set in.

Lastly, we come to the most recent addition to the chronicles: Maresi Red Mantle. This follows Maresi as she leaves the Abbey to try and found a school in her homeland. This was different to most books I've read as it was all in letter form to people we had met in the first book such as Jai and Sister O. I think, in a way, this was one of the most beautiful books as it really shows Maresi growing into herself as she learns to readjust to life outside the Abbey.

I always love stories where the female MC really grows into herself, and this didn't disappoint. We see her go through first loves, and learning to accept that she is her own person and is allowed to be different. I think I especially loved that she showed her family that sending her to the Red Abbey was worth it - I think the scenes where she teaches her brother to read are some of my favourites, alongside the scenes with Maresi's sister who really supports her throughout with her ambition of opening a school.

I could talk about the series for so long, they really surprised me with how amazing they were, especially when read together, but if I did this review would be way too long. So, I highly suggest going to buy your own copies ASAP!

Overall, I give this series 5 cats!


Have you read this series? What do you think of them? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment