Wednesday 21 February 2018

Review: Sentinel by Joshua Winning

So, I got offered an e-copy of this book by the author in exchange for a review, and I'm glad I accepted because it was such an intriguing plot!

Here it is:

21503783


"What is a Sentinel? A guard. A detective. A killer..."

They are the world's best-kept secret - an underground society whose eternal cause is to protect the world against the dark creatures and evil forces that inhabit the night.

Now Sentinels are being targeted, murdered and turned as the fury of an ancient evil is unleashed once more. And when 15-year-old Nicholas Hallow's parents are killed in a train crash, the teenager is drawn into a desperate struggle against malevolent powers.

Sentinel is the first book in the Sentinel Trilogy - a world of unconventional heroes, monsters, murder and magic.


When a blurb mentions 'heroes, monsters, murder and magic' of course I'm going to accept when I'm asked if I want to review it - it's right up my alley! Plus, if you add in a secret society then that just makes it all the more intriguing - and I love a bit of intrigue!

This is one book that didn't suck me in straight away, but not in a bad way - instead I was 'lulled' into the plot I could say. One moment I was just slowly picking up on things that made me slightly more curious, and then bam! I was in the book and stuck there wanting to know what happens (a weird way of putting it but I hope someone understands what I mean by that!).

One of my favourite things about this book was Hallow House - I love the idea of it. A house with so many mysterious secrets and weird rooms, I loved it because I want a house just like it.

I also can't wait to see where the plot goes in the next book - I want to see what was being kept secret from Nicholas, and I really want to see what's going to happen with his powers! Luckily, I was also given a copy of the second book to read too, so you'll be seeing a review of that up soon too.

I can't not mention my favourite character - or favourite baddy I should say - Malika. She is an amazing character, beautiful but deadly - and someone you wouldn't want to meet on the street. She was written beautifully and I can't wait to read more about her in the series.

All I can say really is that if you love mystery and fantasy mixed together this is a book for you. After all whats not to like - there's a talking cat (I love a good talking cat in a book), a mysterious house, and a mysterious raven man (nice cover link there), and I hope there will be even more mystery to come!

I give this book 4 cats!


Have you read this book before? Or the series? What did you think of it? Comment below!

1 comment: