Tuesday 22 August 2017

ARC Review: Book of Fire by Michelle Kenney

So, I got this book from Netgalley, as an e-copy in exchange for a review.

I was extremely excited to read it. I had a bit of a slump while reading, so it took me longer than usual, but my slump was definitely not because of this book.

I loved this book. One word I can think of to describe it, is: Amazing.

Here it is:



Life outside the domes is not possible. At least that’s what Insiders are told.

Twins Eli and Talia shouldn’t exist. They’re Outsiders.

Their home is a secret. Their lives are a secret. Arafel is a secret.

An unexpected forest raid forces Talia into a desperate mission to rescue her family while protecting the sacred Book of Arafel from those who would use it as a weapon. As Talia and her life long friend Max enter the dome, she makes some unexpected discoveries, and allies, in the form of rugged Insider August, that will change the course of her life forever.

She’ll stop at nothing to save her family but will she sacrifice her heart in the process?

The Fire Sermon meets Gladiator in this brilliant YA debut.

Guys, I just do not know how to express my love for this book. It was so good! If I hadn't have had my slump I would have read this so quickly I'm sure, and I will probably re-read it a few times too!

This book is all about Talia, a girl who lives in a forest village, after a nuclear war. The world is split into 'Insiders' who survived inside a Dome after the devastation from the war, and 'Outsiders' who, according to those inside the Dome, should not exist.

While in this book, you see so many wild and weird creatures, all thanks to the genetic engineering of the Insiders. Creatures from history and mythology, such as Griffins or Cyclops, and just random creatures, like fluorescent cats. (This particular cat was only mentioned in the book once, but you know what I'm like with cats, so it stuck with me!).

The imagery in this book is just stunning, and it had me able to imagine all of the little details of the creatures, and places, and so I definitely congratulate Michelle on how well this little book world is written.

And guys, I doubt I've said this before, but I do love a love triangle! I don't know why, but they really draw me in to a book, and I love to take sides (apparently I usually choose the least popular side).

And what did this book give me? A love triangle! Talia had to choose between an Insider, August, and an Outsider she grew up with, Max.

I'm so routing for her and August (feel free to disagree with me in the comments if you've read the book!).

So, yes, a love triangle, genetic engineering, a Fluorescent cat, and a strong female main character, it all makes an amazing book that I highly recommend!

My rating: 5 cats!


This book is out this week (25th August) and it has recently been confirmed that it will be part of a trilogy! Yay!

Have any of you read this? Or are planning to read this? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment