Wednesday 4 October 2017

Review: It Only Happens in the Movies by Holly Bourne

So, as you may have known if you follow me on Twitter, I went to the launch event of this book at Waterstones Piccadilly on the 20th of September. It was my first book event as a blogger (and really just my first book event) and it was amazing.

From this, I got my copy of this lovely book, a week(ish) before release, and I loved it so much I read it in less than a day.

Now, it's been a while since I've loved a book so much I've read it in a day, and I admit I've really missed that feeling, I don't know about you guys but I feel like reading a book in less than a day really means something. But, I'm rambling, so here's the book!


Bad boys turned good, kisses in the rain, climbing through bedroom windows... It only happens in the movies.

When Audrey meets Harry, it's the start of a truly cinematic romance - or is it?

Audrey knows that Harry is every movie cliché rolled into one. But she still chooses to let him into her heart...

So, this hasn't been my usual read for a few years now, I used to read all types of YA books, including romances and contemporary like these when in college, but I then focused more on fantasy books coming into university. However, I saw the description for this and I was pulled in, and decided to go for it and go to this event, and I am glad I did.

This book made me remember why I used to read these types of book, it was hilarious, and I could relate to certain points in it so much that I couldn't put the book down once I started it. I even almost missed my train stop on the way home from the event because I was busy reading it.

The main thing I loved about this book was how it made me rethink romance movies. I've always been a bit of a secret romantic at heart, and I've always loved a little bit of a rom-com, but this book had little tidbits throughout, and at the beginning of each chapter, that really made me think about the way romance movies are done, and how they are all pretty much similar.

These tidbits about romance movies, and the whole book, is narrated by Audrey, who is a teenage girl in her final year of college. I found it so refreshing to read a MC like Audrey, and I really connected with her. I laughed with her, I cried with her, and I cringed along with her when things went wrong, and I think connecting with a MC is what really makes you love a book.

But, I could go on for ages about this book, mainly because it's so different to what I usually read it was so refreshing, and I'll definitely be reading Holly's other books if they're as good as this one!

I give this book: 5 cats!



2 comments:

  1. Ooh I can't wait to read this! Your review has made me very excited.
    I'm holding off until the author event in Newcastle before getting it so another few weeks to go!
    Cora ❤ http://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'll love it! I'm literally so glad I went to this event and read the book, it's made me love this genre again! :) x

      Delete