Monday 29 January 2018

Review: Mr Rochester by Sarah Shoemaker

Okay, so I got this as an e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a review. It came out November 2017, but I didn't get around to reading it until now (oops).

However, I am so glad I did request this book. Jane Eyre is one of my all time favourite books, and my favourite classic book, so the idea of Mr Rochester's story being told intrigued me so much.

Here it is:



Uncover the secrets of Edward Fairfax Rochester, the beloved, enigmatic hero of Jane Eyre, as he tells his story for the first time in Mr Rochester, Sarah Shoemaker's gorgeous retelling of one of the most romantic stories in literature.

On his eighth birthday, Edward is banished from his beloved Thornfield Hall to learn his place in life. His journey eventually takes him to Jamaica where, as a young man, he becomes entangled with an enticing heiress and makes a choice that will haunt him. It is only when he finally returns home and encounters one stubborn, plain, young governess, that Edward can see any chance of redemption - and love.

Rich and vibrant, Edward's evolution from tender-hearted child to Charlotte Bronte's passionately tormented hero will completely, deliciously, and forever change how we read and remember Jane Eyre.

I had so many expectations going in to this book, and I was not disappointed. This book embodied Mr Rochester perfectly, and told the story of his life perfectly.

As I've said before, I've read Jane Eyre many times, because it is my favourite classic book, and I've always wondered about Mr Rochester, and what his life story was, and also what he was thinking when he met Jane in the original. This book takes my questions and answers them all, in detail I definitely didn't expect at all.

My favourite part of this book is the beginning, as we learn about Mr Rochester's life from a child, until he comes back to the UK, and it is my favourite because of all the new details you get: his schooling, his family, his life in Jamaica and marriage to Bertha etc. It made me love Mr Rochester even more than I did before (though I did question some of his actions when it gets to him meeting Jane).

I don't really know how I can describe this books greatness, I feel like I will never be able to do this story justice. So, all I can say is that this is an amazing re-telling and if you love Jane Eyre like me, then you'll love Mr Rochester too.

I give this book: 5 Cats!


Have you read this book before? Do you love Mr Rochester as much as I do? Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Jane Eyre is my favourite classic book and I'm a bit dubious about reading books that are not written by the original authors. It could just be me. But I couldn't resist reading what you thought, if you liked it as a Jane Eyre fan maybe it's can't be bad then

    ReplyDelete