Tuesday 10 April 2018

Review: The Queens of Innis Lear by Tessa Gratton

So, I originally received this as an advanced e-copy from Netgalley, but didn't get round to reading it until now which is a shame as it was so amazing.

Here it is:

37784598

A KINGDOM AT RISK, A CROWN DIVIDED, A FAMILY DRENCHED IN BLOOD

Tessa Gratton's debut epic adult fantasy, The Queens of Innis Lear, brings to life a world that hums with ancient magic, and characters as ruthless as the tides.

The erratic decisions of a prophecy-obsessed king have drained Innis Lear of its wild magic, leaving behind a trail of barren crops and despondent subjects. Enemy nations circle the once-bountiful isle, sensing its growing vulnerability, hungry to control the ideal port for all trade routes.

The king’s three daughters – battle-hungry Gaela, master manipulator Reagan, and restrained, starblessed Elia – know the realm’s only chance of resurrection is to crown a new sovereign, proving a strong hand can resurrect magic and defend itself. But their father will not choose an heir until the longest night of the year, when prophecies align and a poison ritual can be enacted.

Refusing to leave their future in the hands of blind faith, the daughters of Innis Lear prepare for war – but regardless of who wins the crown, the shores of Innis will weep the blood of a house divided.


I first decided to request this because the cover immediately caught my eye, it was so beautiful. Then, when I saw the description I was even more intrigued as it sounded like something right up my alley. By the end of this book I was so annoyed with myself for leaving it in my TBR for so long, as it was a spectacular read. I later found out that this is based on a Shakespeare story (I've never read any really) so if you're a fan of that and fantasy then I'm sure you'll adore this book.

I admit, the first bit of the book did confuse me a bit, enough that I wondered if I would get into it at all, but as soon as it got to the POVs of the sisters I got sucked in. It was so nice to have the different POVs of each of the main characters at the beginning, it really gave you a sense of what each of the characters would be like throughout the book and gave you a good baseline as to how the book may go.

I'll say that this was definitely a fascinating book, and come towards the second half I didn't want to put my kindle down. I'm a bit obsessed with just watching the stars (not that I can read them or anything) so I think that the star prophecies in this book really called to me, and made me that much more interested. Then, adding to that the idea that in this land you could also talk to the earth and the trees and the wind, it intrigued me and kept me interested, it's just such a magical idea.

Just overall, I think I can explain this book in one word: beautiful. The imagery in this book is some of the best I've ever read - it was all so magical and beautiful that it actually left me breathless. I really do urge you to read this book just for that!

I give this book: 5 cats (and I would give so many more if I could)


This is probably going to be one of my top reads of 2018, and I will be buying a physical copy when I can. Have you read this? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment