Sunday 2 September 2018

Review: Brightstorm by Vashti Hardy

So, I won a proof copy of this when Amy from Golden Books Girl done a competition, but I hadn't got round to reading it until now. Mainly because I've only rarely read MG so wasn't too sure, but that concern went right out my head as soon as I started this lovely book.

Here it is:

37594729

Twins Arthur and Maudie receive word in Lontown that their famous explorer father died in a failed attempt to reach South Polaris. Not only that, but he has been accused of trying to steal fuel from his competitors before he died! The twins don't believe the news, and they answer an ad to help crew a new exploration attempt in the hope of learning the truth and salvaging their family's reputation. As the winged ship Aurora sets sail, the twins must keep their wits about them and prove themselves worthy of the rest of the crew. But will Arthur and Maudie find the answers they seek?


I absolutely breezed through this book. I started it on the train journey home one day, and finished it by the end of that night. It was short and sweet, and such an easy laid-back read: just what I needed after a busy week. You could say that I fell in love with this book - it's so lighthearted that you just can't help it.

I think the think I loved the most about this book was how it flowed, there were no parts that dragged, and that's a lot different than usual for me but definitely a great thing. The names in this book were one of the things that filled me with joy when reading - they're all so fancy and interesting (e.g. Brightstorm, Culpepper, Welby) - it made me wonder if I could come up with such fascinating names myself too (just for fun).

Also, I will say the idea of Thought Wolves, wolves that can talk to you through mind speak, were so brilliant. I really wish they were real, as I think they'd be so interesting to meet and talk to (and cuddle).

There's not much more I can say other than this was such a gem of a book, really quirky and a great read if you want a pick-me-up, and I really hope to hear more from the Brightstorm twins in the future. I give it 5 cats!


Have you read this book before? What was your favourite part? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment