Thursday 18 April 2019

Review: The Exact Opposite Of Okay by Laura Steven

Okay, I read this before it came out, as it was an e-ARC sent from Netgalley for a review, but I adored it so much I had no idea how to do such an amazing book justice. But, after putting it off so long, I decided to finally try and put my thoughts into words that will show how great this book is.

First though, here's the book:

35817737


Izzy O’Neill is an aspiring comic, an impoverished orphan, and a Slut Extraordinaire. Or at least, that’s what the malicious website flying round the school says. Izzy can try all she wants to laugh it off – after all, her sex life, her terms – but when pictures emerge of her doing the dirty with a politician’s son, her life suddenly becomes the centre of a national scandal. Izzy’s never been ashamed of herself before, and she’s not going to start now. But keeping her head up will take everything she has...



It is so hard to put down how amazing this book is. I think it was just what I needed when I picked it up, and it's definitely one I'll read again, which is something I rarely say for books that aren't in my usual genre. In fact, as I don't think I'll do this book justice I'm just going to do my thing and ramble.

I adored this book, it gave me so many laughs so quickly, and I always adore a strong female character - and Izzy was definitely that. She never let things get to her no matter how hard it got - and I definitely respect that, I wish I could be as strong as Izzy is sometimes. In fact, I think Izzy is one of my favourite contemporary characters that I've read so far.

One of my favourite things about this book was that it brought in so many different points so quickly - the elderly, employability when young without experience, friendships turned love interests, etc. I couldn't believe how much was packed in this book, and that was without the main plot too, nothing was focused on too much and they all got, what I think was, the right amount of discussion time.

I've been hit hard before by internet/social media problems (nothing quite so big as Izzy, but at the time it felt like it) and I think it was so important to read something like this and see that sometimes there's no need to let the internet take over your life, or if it does you can still bounce back with the help of people in your life.

But, I'm rambling. All I can say is this is an amazing book and I can't wait to see what happens in the next one. (oh and I need to do a shoutout to Dumbledore the dog - of course I couldn't forget him - small HP references are my life).

So, I give this book 5 cats!

Have you read this book before? What are your opinions? Comment below!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this yet, but I saw it on NetGalley and am regretting not requesting it. I'll check it out!
    Thanks for this review, it's great! I like how personal you are about each aspect of the book, making sure to say what YOU liked not what the book IS. This is something I struggle with as a reviewer, haha!
    Happy 2020! Keep up the great work!
    Emma

    ReplyDelete