Tuesday 5 November 2019

Review: Dragonslayer by Duncan M. Hamilton

I got a bit into dragons and any books that mentioned them lately, so when I saw the blurb of this book on a list (and also the cover - I mean, come on how beautiful is that blue dragon cover?? It just pops out to you), I knew I had to read it, and Tor were nice enough to gift me a review copy. Here's the book:

40045979

Once a member of the King's personal guard, Guillot dal Villevaurais spends most days drinking and mourning his wife and child. He's astonished--and wary--when the Prince Bishop orders him to find and destroy a dragon. He and the Prince Bishop have never exactly been friends and Gill left the capitol in disgrace five years ago. So why him? And, more importantly, how is there a dragon to fight when the beasts were hunted to extinction centuries ago by the ancient Chevaliers of the Silver Circle?

On the way to the capitol city, Gill rescues Solène, a young barmaid, who is about to be burned as a witch. He believes her innocent...but she soon proves that she has plenty of raw, untrained power, a problem in this land, where magic is forbidden. Yet the Prince Bishop believes magic will be the key to both destroying the dragon and replacingthe young, untried King he pretends to serve with a more pliable figurehead.

Between Gill's rusty swordsmanship and Solène's unstable magic, what could go wrong?


The description was of this book definitely intrigued me after being pulled in by that beautiful cover, I mean who can resist magic, dragons and Knights trying to redeem themselves? I was pretty much sold at that point, and the book did not disappoint at all - I breezed through it so quickly.

I actually loved the MC Gill's character development, it was so nice to actually go through the book and see him slowly develop whilst also learning just why he is as he is, which is actually quite tragic. However, despite his backstory you see his relationship with the town's people that he is in charge of, and later his relationship with Solene, and that's so nice to see, even if he is a bit lax in his duties sometimes. I really liked to see his old Knightly self come back into action as you went along.

I think one of the things most interesting to me was the fact we saw some little POV from the main Dragon (Alpheratz) in this book, it had thoughts and feelings and I think the author really made you feel a bit sorry for the Dragons and their extinction, and all because of that one POV. I admit, I really can't wait to see what happens in the next books in this series, it will be interesting to see where the author takes the story line after where it left off - and I really hope to see a bit more information on the world that he has built.

Overall, I give this book: 5 cats


Do you like Dragon books? If so comment below and we can discuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment