Sunday 14 May 2023

Review: The Book That Wouldn't Burn by Mark Lawrence

So I may have requested this purely because of the description that there was a giant library.... I mean, what book lover wouldn't do that? But this turned out to be an amazing random pick from Netgalley, and now I must know what's going to happen in the future books!

But for now, here's the book:



All books, no matter their binding, will fall to dust. The stories they carry may last longer. They might outlive the paper, the library, even the language in which they were first written.

The greatest story can reach the stars . . .

Evar has lived his whole life trapped within a vast library, older than empires and larger than cities.

Livira has spent hers in a tiny settlement out on the Dust where nightmares stalk and no one goes.

The world has never noticed them.

That’s about to change.

As their stories spiral around each other, across worlds and time, each will unlock vast secrets about the world and themselves. This is a tale of truth and lies and hearts, and the blurring of one into another.

I admit it did take a while for me to get into this book, mainly because I really couldn't figure out where this was going and how the two characters would come together - but it was definitely worth the patience as you get to the end and want to see so much more out of it. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book - I like to think that the slow burn in this one was really building up the premise and the world, ready to jump right into the action, but we shall see... One thing's for sure though, I'll definitely be waiting to jump back into this when the next book is out as I already want to continue with Livira's and Evar's story!

Although it may have taken me a while to get into, I can definitely see this as a book that you can read again and again to pick up little nuggets you didn't notice before. I think one of the things I'll be paying specific attention to is the quotes at the beginning of each chapter - I love quotes at the beginning of chapters in books but I think I passed them by, hopefully a reread I'll be able to see if they link in more.

The two main characters in this, Livira and Evar, are really well written. Specifically I loved Evar's character, seeing him begin to explore after his life trapped in the library was fascinating, he was just a joy to read. That isn't to say I didn't like Livira - seeing her character develop through the years was definitely interesting too. Also, no spoilers here, but if you've read it - how much did the Raven's name amuse you? It gave me a chuckle!

Overall, I give this book 5 cats!

It's definitely a book I'll be reading again, and after that ending I think the anticipation of what may happen in the next books may kill me! It's a book that keeps your mind cogs turning, and definitely one I'd highly suggest!

No comments:

Post a Comment