Thursday 20 July 2017

Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Okay, so, this book has been sitting around in my bookshelves for an unknown amount of years. I remember trying to start it, but being put off by a male POV, as I'd only really read books with a female POV at that point in time.

So, I put it down and just kind of forgot about it for a few years.

Then, the film came out and my mind was like 'Hey, I have that book, but why haven't I read it before?'

So, I decided to buck up and read it (after I had watched the film on TV, oops).

Here it is:


Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

Even on my second read I still found it hard to get into I must admit. But, with the knowledge of what happens from the film I thought I'd suck it up and just get through it as I did love the plot in the film.

All I can say, is that it helped me a lot to know what was going to happen so I didn't just give up before I got going. And I'm glad I did give it another chance. Obviously, as you can expect, the book had a lot more details than the movie, and that's where it helped me to get more interested.

Overall, I'm still not quite sure where this book series is going, but I liked the book enough to buy the next in the series and find out, so I guess you could say that the ending was definitely interesting enough to get me asking 'what's going to happen?!'.

I would definitely still recommend this book, as I think I just sometimes have difficulties with Male POV's. If you're okay with male POV's then definitely give the book a try, as it is an interesting plot line and the way it was left at the end left me wondering just what was going to happen.

And, I think you should check back to this blog at a later date to find out what I think of the second book in the series: Beautiful Darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment