Wednesday 12 July 2017

Review: Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

So, my first review!

I thought I'd start out with the book that I was currently reading, because, well, why not?
Seems silly to be reading something and instead start on a new book to review.

So, I admit, I picked up this book a few years ago in a used bookshop, and I have read it before. Not the whole series, I never got round to finishing it as I'm missing two of the later books, but I've read the first few in the series.

What called out to me about this book? Well, I'd heard of Rachel Caine before and this book had vampires in it, and I'm a vampire junkie sometimes. Well, here's the description:




Welcome to Morganville. Just don't stay out after dark.

Morganville is a small town filled with unusual characters - when the sun goes down, the bad come out. In Morganville, there is an evil that lurks in the darkest shadows - one that will spill out into the bright light of day.

For Claire Danvers, high school was hell, but college may be murder. It was bad enough that she got on the wrong side of Monica, the meanest of the school's mean girls, but now she's got three new roommates, who all have secrets of their own. And the biggest secret of all isn't really a secret, except from Claire: Morganville is run by vampires, and they are hungry for fresh blood.



What can I say about the book? Well, I did fall in love with one of the main characters, a boy named Michael. Just because he's cool, he plays guitar, he's protective and he's got a mysterious air about him (you find out why in the book, I won't spoil it). But I must admit, I just picture him in my mind and well, like I said I fell a little bit in love.


But who doesn't fall in love with characters in books? (hopefully it isn't just me)


But, back to the book, it's great to see the main character, Claire, kind of come into her own in this book as she started off quite quiet and a little bit meek at times when dealing with some horrible people at the college. I like it when characters slowly become more outspoken as they go along in the book, maybe that's just me though.


And the main characters in this book are just so easy to like, well, the non-vampire ones anyways. Eve, especially, is one of my favourites, the girl who is a goth in a town where anything gothic is seen as a rebellion to the vampires, and this girl is one of the biggest rebels in the town when it comes to that. I always get clear images in my mind of Eve as a character, when sometimes I find it hard to stick to one main look when picturing characters in books.


Anyways, to keep it short, I love the book, but like I said I have a weakness for vampire books, so I may be a bit biased. But, as a book, I'd read it again (as I have already read it before once), and Rachel Caine didn't disappoint with the plot.


I'll be reading the other books in this series as my travelling books this month (bus, train, etc.) and I think I'll just review them as a whole series at the end, unless any of them blow my mind, so, that's all for now on the Morganville vampires and my first review!


Feel free to comment any of your thoughts on the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment