Sunday 16 July 2017

Review: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Okay, time to fess up, I haven't read this book this week (or fully for a little while) but I constantly have it on my Kindle for when I finish a book and have nothing else on me to read, so I think I'm about 50 pages in on my kindle version at the moment.

Yes, I do have both a kindle version and a book version, this is how much I love this book.

So much that the series is on my top 5 re-reads (see these here) and that I have actually read it an unknown amount of times (that means a lot). So, here it is:



Dark Secrets, Deep Love, and Dangerous Magic

Sent to a boarding school in Ancelstierre as a young child, Sabriel has had little experience with the random power of Free Magic or the Dead who refuse to stay dead in the Old Kingdom. But during her final semester, her father, the Abhorsen, goes missing, and Sabriel knows she must enter the Old Kingdom to find him. She soon finds companions in Mogget, a cat whose aloof manner barely conceals its malevolent spirit, and Touchstone, a young Charter Mage long imprisoned by magic, now free in body but still trapped by painful memories.

As the three travel deep into the Old Kingdom, threats mount on all sides. And every step brings them closer to a battle that will pit them against the true forces of life and death—and bring Sabriel face-to-face with her own destiny.


Okay, so, one thing I love about this book, and which makes me read it more, is that technically it could be read as a stand-alone. So, if you're short on time and just want a travel read, or just don't want to commit to a series just yet, this book is great. Plus, then, if you love it like I did, you can just choose to read the other books too!

Why do I love this book so much? I hear you ask. Well, there's just too many reasons to explain! But one reason is the world that it is based in. One half of the land seems like a normal, if dated, version of where we all live now (Ancelstierre), while the other half of the land is just magical (The Old Kingdom). The only thing that separates these two halves of the land is a Wall. Yet, the seasons differ, and no technology can survive past the Wall into the Old Kingdom. It just makes it so much easier to connect to this book when you can see that Ancelstierre is just like a normal dated country.

One thing I love about this book is that while it shows the difficult journey that Sabriel has to take from the place where she has grown up (Ancelstierre) to the place where she was born (the Old Kingdom) it also shows her more personal journey from just a schoolgirl to a woman and more importantly, her journey to becoming Abhorsen. Which is a pretty big jump. And I don't know why, but big personal journeys like that always interest me in books!

But, come on, if any of you have ever read this book, I bet you're all asking why I have yet to mention the character that is the best and most mysterious, the cat Mogget. Well, technically he isn't just a cat, but the cat is my favourite Mogget shape. He's just my favourite fiction cat ever. His personality in the book is just amazing, and I think if you read this you can't help but love him, and his mysterious origin is tackled in later books (if you choose to read them).

So, that's only like, 3 reasons why I love this book, and there are so many more but if I wrote them all I would just end up with a giant post that no-one would ever get through. Which wouldn't be good.

All I can say now then, is that I highly recommend this book, and even this series, and it is highly likely that I'll eventually get round to reviewing the whole series at some point. 

Garth Nix's world he imagined in this book is just amazing and if you don't read this book, I think you'll really be missing out on a stunning adventure.

Feel free to leave your comments on the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment